THE FRINGE SOCIAL - ADELAIDE FRINGE REVIEW

4 Mar 2019



You've waited oh so patiently for the juicy details and now... you're going to get them.

Setting the scene here, it was a perfectly (too) balmy Saturday afternoon (40 degrees and half a bottle of setting spray), I made my way to Mr Goodbar after strolling around Ebenezer place in hopes of bumping into Daniel Radcliffe who will give me the best excuse ever to ditch the upcoming speed dating Fringe event and ride off with him into the sunset on a thestral wearing a cute Slytherin outfit I've been considering buying online.

Unfortunately, although Daniel was spotted down Rundle St that very morning, he didn't save me from my speed dating nerves, and so with Everything Adelaide by my side, we ascended the stairs in hopes there might be a potential new Fringe Fling each.

Mr Goodbar is kind of the coolest date place though. Small enough for good conversation, big enough to have an extensive cocktail list and centrally located enough to sprint to the Garden of Unearthly Delights if things go awry. 

I had a first date at Mr Goodbar once with the lead singer of a band - he rocked up in a shirt full of holes which ironically wasn't purchased that way like Yeezy would have wanted... they were worn in overtime and I still can't put my finger on if I think that's kinda gross or kinda super hot (band guys are my kryptonite). 

Anyway, the scene is set. Carina and I grabbed a seat at the bar and order our complimentary champagne (sparkling wine) and I looked around the room, squinting enough to try and suss out the pickings without my glasses on. 


We were checked into the event on our phones - which was kinda cool. I've done speed dating before through my phone with another organisation and I can tell you this version was a lot better. More simple, cooler layout, free sparklings; I was a fan.

Making our way with 30 odd others down to the speed dating arena, we sat down and awaited instruction from our phone on who to converse with first.

I think for a Fringe experience, The Social Co. has done an exceptional job at putting the systems in place to give you the best possible chance to have fun and meet new people through good conversation over drinks. During the event, you get approximately five chances to talk to people. Now let me clear up with you that this isn't speed dating as such... it's a speed-dating format social event where you can be matched up with any person (any gender)  and strike up a convo based off the 'ice-breakers' that are given to you. 


Besides the heat, the afternoon was actually quite lovely, even if it was a touch socially exhausting. The part I didn't like was with a room full of 30 or so people, you only had private talking time with five others, leaving an array of people out of your main focus time (I'm talking about you, attractive white shirt guy I didn't get to talk to).

But the pretense of the night has been orchestrated perfectly, even if you don't get to talk to every person, the night breaks the ice to be able to the approach those who catch your eye after the event to talk further or even ask out for drinks that night (good job on that one, Carina).

Although this "review" has been convoluted as all anything, I hope you finish this reading considering going to two of the final Social Co. events happening over the Adelaide Fringe. I think it's so important to keep the social thread with strangers alive and it's extremely easy to do while bonding over fringe shows and Mad March experiences. 

I can't wait to see what the Social Co. does, as I can see it being a great platform for young professional networking as well as for specific age groups to mingle and expand their social circles. 


Buy tickets to the next Fringe Social HERE!

4 out of 5 stars

Post a Comment