THE ZACHELOR - ADELAIDE FRINGE REVIEW

24 Feb 2019


It's a tale as old as time - Man is born. Man searches for love. Man becomes an alcoholic and hosts a self-deprecating 'Bachelor' play on words, Adelaide Fringe comedy show. It's a classic story.

The Zachelor with Zack Watson doesn't just provide an hour of laughs, it also comes with over the line humor that you'll be worried to laugh at (and always will), and an automatic sense of belonging as you follow Zach's journey over the last decade which includes moving to Adelaide from the country and managing bars in the city-centre.

It's evident that Zach has mastered the skills needed to execute a quality fringe show. He beautifully sets up and executes running jokes, makes the audience feel at home (with a few cheeky shots of gin for the audience during), and delivers a form of true-blue Aussie humor that I find can be heavily censored, and, therefore, lose impact with the more conventional comics.

Zach pushes the line of what we can laugh at as Australians, but perfectly navigates subject issues like bogan culture and what it's like to be the butt of the universes' joke (especially when alcohol's involved).


It's not often that you walk away from a small comedy show haven laughed the entire time and learned a few facts along the way - did you know that the Rhino Room venue 'Hell's Kitchen' used to be the kitchen for the first Fasta Pasta in Adelaide? Did you know that Fasta Pasta sold it's IP and now it's a chain of restaurants in Victoria called La Porchetta? Did you know that La Porchetta has a one-star review of trip advisor with the title 'Complete Garbage?'. I didn't... until I googled it to find the hyperlink for this fun fact I got from Zach and I now feel like a better person because of it. I'm not sure if I enjoyed this more because I fucking love pasta, or because I love learning little facts about our world that I didn't know to begin with. Either way, like my favourite Carbonara - these fun facts were delivered and delicious. 

I'm excited to see Zach grow as a comedian, and although his show has concluded for the Fringe season, I would highly recommend keeping an eye out for Zach on the Adelaide comedy scene and grabbing tickets to his next show which can be found on his Facebook page.

4 out of 5 stars
Category: Comedy/Performance

Post a Comment