Speed Dating with City Swoon

2 Feb 2017


Like prior to our parents marriages, or badly staged episodes of Reality TV, Speed Dating is coming out of the woodwork with a new nationwide start-up 'CitySwoon'. Combining the old-school tactics of face-to-face dates, with the new-age opportunities of a tech connection, perspective Romeo's and Juliet's headed to the pre-organised CitySwoon group date location to let the lovin' begin. Once checked in online, CitySwoon texts you when your next date will start, and a picture of them pops up so you can pick them out of the crowd. This particular speed dating experience was for people aged 22 to 32, but future events cater for a wide variety of ages, from 22, to 55.



I'm not saying I'm too single, but I spent the night before this date up until 3am painting a DIY Gnome and watching 'The Office' (I try to keep myself entertained). When I heard about the event from my fabulous PR friend, Sarah Nguyen, we jumped at the chance to explore this opportunity, and soon found ourselves downstairs at Bank Street Social Club for the festivities to begin. Honestly, we were a bit confused, there wasn't a run down of the night given, or the organisers addressing the crowd, but since we were only there to check it out and have a fun night, we weren't too fussed. We grabbed our drinks, received our texts, and we were ready to go on our 10 minute encounters.

The City Swoon text directions on the night

Now I know that I'm a picky person, I'm starting to remind myself of those not super amazing couples on Married at First Sight who whole-heartedly believe they deserve better than the on-par person standing in front of them. The first date was with a game developer who laughed like a hyena and drenched my hand with sweat on our departing handshake. The next two guys were both friends who had moved to Australia from international countries, who both had a passion and appreciation of our beautiful country, and eventually had to decline a date offer from one. I definitely got along with the last guy the easiest, with long conversations including me overshadowing his knowledge of obscure animated shows, but I've never met a Mathematician that I've ever liked. 

Bank Street Social Club

I loved incorporating my phone into the dating experience. BUT even if I'm on a date I'm not enjoying, I find it common courtesy to not be on my phone. During the dates last night (helped with a few drinks), I found my eye wandering to my phone screen waiting for the next text so I could say my goodbyes, buy a Mojito to subtly flirt with the bartender (I had three to find out he was taken), and move onto the next meet up.

I found the dates were in a way, fairly well-suited for me in one way or another. Two guys were smart, nice, graduates with good jobs and a sly sense of humour, the other two were fun, adventurous, talkative and exotic. Put them all together and I might have found someone I'd be interested in seeing again, the website did good, but I need great to change my ways.

Would I go again? Probably not. Although the people I met were lovely, they didn't check my boxes, I feel like I would be wasting their time and mine, more because of who I am, and where I am in my life right now. I really hope these people find what they are looking for, I'm positive if they keep at it, they'll find someone just so lovely for them.

CitySwoon has provided a platform for people to skip the one night stand vibes from Tinder, and jump straight to the coffee date you've been waiting 4 days for your right swipe to ask you on. I think once the word gets out and more people like me jump on the bandwagon, I'll definitely consider going again. 

Happy Dating,

Emma D

Post a Comment